Teacher Talk Tuesday

One of the most important things you can do for your child as they learn to read is provide them with books they can read independently. This is very tricky to do in fact I hear from parents all the time, "I just can't find any books that he/she can read!" Well, I can help!


The Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold are great additions to a young ones bookshelf. One thing I love so much about these books is they are "boy" friendly. The text is simple enough for any K-1 reader and the cartoon-like illustrations are engaging and amusing.

Again, I am repeating myself here, when your child is learning to read they must spend their time reading books at their reading level. I encourage you to sit down with your child and have them read the book to you. Be patient, do not tell them a word if they get stuck, allow them time to problem solve. If they struggle through the page, the book is too hard. Kids do not learn to read when they have a book that is too hard for them! The only thing that will happen in this situation is frustration and a loss of interest in reading, I promise.

When you sit down to read a book that fits your child just right, you'll have a lot more fun and they'll be learning to read at the same time!

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will's Arrival

Beaming

Welcome to Iowa!