Welcome to Iowa!

Come one, come all… to a place called Iowa (it’s in the middle, not to be confused with Idaho).














Welcome blog-trotters, I’m happy you are here! My Iowa journey began 8 years ago at Iowa State University and I’m now going on year 4 of my true residency as an Iowan. My husband and I live in the center of the downtown area of Des Moines. We make a living by teaching the youth of America (or future Iowans themselves). We both come from neighboring states (I’m from Minnesota and he’s from Illinois) but we are thoroughly enjoying our lives here in the capital city. I have found my favorite things about Iowa categorize themselves into seasons, which is how I will present this lovely state to you today.

Summer/Fall
One of our absolute favorite things about Des Moines is the farmer’s market! This locally grown spectacle occupies six of the downtown blocks every Saturday morning from the first of May to the last weekend of October. A true showcase of the vital resources grown here in Iowa, this market puts all others I’ve experienced to shame. 

Following a trip to the market, I’d highly recommend catching an ICubs game at Principal Park, a mere 4-5 block walk from the farmer’s market area. It has the low key atmosphere of a minor league team yet has a following comparable to the big names. Principal Park is a great place to spend an evening, how can you beat an ice cold beer and a bag of peanuts… my idea of a great time.



















Not a single Iowan (or so I believe) considers their summer complete without a trip to the Iowa State Fair. Being a Minnesota native (another Midwest state with one heck of a state fair themselves) I was thrown for a loop when a friend from college mentioned the Iowa state far. Call me naïve, but I didn’t realize other states celebrated their state fairs the way Minnesotans did. Boy was I in for a treat!! They have something for everyone whether its little hands on the farm or just about anything on a stick. Don’t miss the sweet corn stand or the AE dairy barn, then head to The Depot to dance off all those state fair calories.

It's no secret Iowa's small towns and communities outnumber larger cities and suburbs. One of the things I learned quickly was, these small towns make up in pride what they lack in numbers. Small towns in Iowa mostly identify themselves in regions and, as far as I can tell, the folks from southwest Iowa seem to have the most pride. It's not uncommon to hear someone mention they are from southwest Iowa followed by hoots and cheers from those around who are, not doubt, from somewhere else in southwest Iowa as well. Regardless, one things each small town has to offer is at least one town festival throughout the year, most likely during the summer. One largely attended festival would be Tulip Time in Pella. To find more festivals around Iowa click here.


Winter/Spring
When I tell people I live downtown, I often hear stories about not too long ago when there was little to enjoy about downtown Des Moines. They are working hard to revive this untapped area and, from what we can tell, they have done a great job. Des Moines is not large, by any means, but they do manage to have their own neighborhoods each offering something unique to any traveler. Read about some of the areas here. Des Moines’ East Village is home to Brenton Skating Plaza, where Mike and I spent our first Valentines day as a married couple. We will no doubt enjoy this winter activity again this year.














Winter and spring are great times to enjoy some of the suburbs surrounding Des Moines. West Des Moines’ West Glen and Jordan Creek Town Centre areas are favorites of ours. Here you will find plenty of choices for eating, shopping, and nighttime entertainment for the coldest of winter evenings. *One piece of advice for winter/spring travel to Iowa: Avoid the state wrestling tournament time… this may not seem huge to some readers, but trust me… it’s a zoo here. Iowans love to support their wrestlers!!














As I bring this post to a close, I feel it’s important to end by saying the true beauty of Iowa lies within the people. This may sound incredibly corny, blame the teacher in me, but it’s so very true. Our city sites can’t compare to those found elsewhere in the country and our views are no contest to those of an ocean or mountainside. However, when you visit Iowa, you come as you are and someone will always be here to give you a warm welcome. We appreciate appearances, but heart matters more and serving others trumps a hefty paycheck. To some this may sound unattainable but it works, each and everyday.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Comments

  1. Wait... Iowa has cities? And... and... buildings!?

    Just kidding. Didn't know you two had a blog! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iowa is by far my favorite state in the continental US. I still have to plan a trip up to see you two.
    Tracker

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in Ames for 5 years while in graduate school at Iowa State. LOVE the city of Ames but the weather in Iowa--eek! We visted Des Moines quite a bit, particularly for the botanical gardens and the science center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, that top picture is pretty darn stunning. I hear what you're saying, though. I feel much the same way about my hometown in Kansas. The people there are SOOO nice. Living in Baltimore now, where people are kind of east coast brisk, I forget what its like to drive down the road and have everyone wave at you. Or go to the grocery store and the clerk asks you how you're doing and they mean it. I miss that. A lot.

    Thanks for the fabulous tour! And for being a part of BlogTrotting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teacher in me thinks that the teacher in you wrote the sweetest tribute to your state in that last paragraph. You're so right that it's the people that make the place. There's a lot to be said for warm welcomes and Midwestern hospitality.

    Great tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Blog Trotters. Thanks for the tour, all I knew about Iowa is that it had corn. Here's the link to my Blog Trotting post about Cleveland if you get a chance to visit:
    http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2010/08/what-i-like-about-cleveland-ohio.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am married to a Mid-Westerner, and I know why it's called the Heartland. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an awesome post! Being raised in Iowa I love what you said in your last paragraph. Makes me feel so proud to be from Iowa! :) Thanks for sharing.

    What part of Downtown do you live in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by everyone and for your kind words. We live on 2nd Avenue right by the river. It's a great location and every Saturday we can just walk right out our door into the farmer's market. We're also a hop skip and a jump from Court Ave. and the East Village. It's perfect for 2 newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought all Iowa had was corn! Ha! Great tour!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beaming

A Newlywed Truth