Teacher Talk Tuesday
I digress...
I saw a news story about bullying this morning. After the story of the horrible events that took place in a Florida Middle School (read more on the story here), there was an interview, however I can't remember who it was with (I was getting ready for school). Anyways, the interveiwee expressed concern for the "informality" of social relatioships these days and went on to say schools and teachers need to look beyond the curriculum and teach social skills because we can no longer rely on a positive, or aware, homelife.
I do not speak for all teachers out there and please keep in mind that I am still somewhat "green" with my experience. That being said, I have to side with teachers on this one... we do teach social skills. My students well being is on my mind as much as their academic progress. I spend 7 hours a day with these people, I think about them at night and on weekends, and they show up in my dreams. I dream that they are not learning, I plan in my sleep, I toss and turn when I realize that one of my little friends might be headed down the wrong path,... you get the idea. To say that teachers need to start thinking about adding social skills to their curriculum, to me, is to ask doctor's to start considering a patients medical history before treating them... it's happening!
We know your children very well and we care very much for their well being. My advice for middle schools and high schools having trouble with bullying... check their files from elementary schools... I highly doubt these behaviors came out of no where. I guarantee there was a teacher somewher along the way that sat up at night worrying about that child's well being. Maybe if we start tapping into the vital resources we have within our own school districts, we can begin to put a stop to some of the mistreatment happening in schools. ~ Just a thought ~
My apologies, this was a bit heavy. How about a funny picture to lighten the mood!


Comments
Post a Comment