Teacher Talk Tuesday
It's the End of an Era
So, it's actually Wednesday but our internet was on the fritz last night so this is a Tuesday post on Wednesday (and it's one day closer to Friday!)
Although I am pumped for summer, the end of this particular school year is bittersweet for me. When I leave my room on June 9th, I leave my title as a first grade teacher behind. Although I am looking forward to my new position and the exciting challenges that lie ahead, this marks the end of an era for me. As I got to thinking about my time in my home-away-from-home I realized I spent as much time in my room as I did in my college career, woah! Although I am well aware that 4 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the total time I will spend as a teacher (now there's a math problem for ya!), this room will forever be my first classroom.
To be honest, when I first learned I'd be teaching first grade I was terrified. First grade is such an important year in a kids life and I wasn't sure I could hack it. It didn't take me long to realize my fears were legit. I've never worked harder for anything (and most days I still feel I don't know sh**!), but I think sending 88 kids off to second grade successfully (meaning they learned to read) shows I got the hang of it at some point. Teaching kids to read is no walk in the park but it is absolutely what I will miss most about first grade. I know every grade will have something special, but my heart will forever hold a spot for grade 1.
Teaching is a funny profession, I've concluded, because even though I spend 35 of my 40 contract hours a week teaching, I've definitely learned more than I've taught during my time in first grade...
but I think that may be the trick of the trade...
if I tell wee ones everyday to learn, learn, learn...
isn't it only appropriate that secretly, I'm learning more than them.
Regardless of my emotions, I am still keeping a countdown and get a rush when I get to put a big black x across a finished day... 8 days 'till LDOS and 17 days 'till Vegas!!
So, it's actually Wednesday but our internet was on the fritz last night so this is a Tuesday post on Wednesday (and it's one day closer to Friday!)
Although I am pumped for summer, the end of this particular school year is bittersweet for me. When I leave my room on June 9th, I leave my title as a first grade teacher behind. Although I am looking forward to my new position and the exciting challenges that lie ahead, this marks the end of an era for me. As I got to thinking about my time in my home-away-from-home I realized I spent as much time in my room as I did in my college career, woah! Although I am well aware that 4 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the total time I will spend as a teacher (now there's a math problem for ya!), this room will forever be my first classroom.
To be honest, when I first learned I'd be teaching first grade I was terrified. First grade is such an important year in a kids life and I wasn't sure I could hack it. It didn't take me long to realize my fears were legit. I've never worked harder for anything (and most days I still feel I don't know sh**!), but I think sending 88 kids off to second grade successfully (meaning they learned to read) shows I got the hang of it at some point. Teaching kids to read is no walk in the park but it is absolutely what I will miss most about first grade. I know every grade will have something special, but my heart will forever hold a spot for grade 1.
Teaching is a funny profession, I've concluded, because even though I spend 35 of my 40 contract hours a week teaching, I've definitely learned more than I've taught during my time in first grade...
but I think that may be the trick of the trade...
if I tell wee ones everyday to learn, learn, learn...
isn't it only appropriate that secretly, I'm learning more than them.
Regardless of my emotions, I am still keeping a countdown and get a rush when I get to put a big black x across a finished day... 8 days 'till LDOS and 17 days 'till Vegas!!
Comments
Post a Comment